Many of the symptoms of TMJ occur in and around the jaw. These include:
- Clicking or popping noises when opening and shutting the mouth
- Grinding noises when chewing
- Constrained jaw movement
- Periods of lockjaw
- Pain around the jaw joint
- Swelling around jaw muscles
OTHER SYMPTOMS OF TMJ
Running through your jaw is a complex network of muscle, tendons, ligaments, and nerves. When the jaw is misaligned, a chain reaction can occur in this network, resulting in issues that may seem to have nothing at all to do with TMJ.
Symptoms of TMJ that may seem unrelated to your jaw include:
- Migraine headaches
- Neck, shoulder, and back pain
- Ear ringing or pain without the presence of infection
- Numbness or tingling in the arm, hand or fingers
- Generalized chronic facial pain
Any type of chronic pain indicates a health issue. Symptoms of TMJ should not be ignored. Left untreated, this common disorder can result in long-term discomfort and may even cause digestive issues, uneven tooth wear, and other problems.
If you are suffering from any or all of the symptoms of TMJ, please contact BRSH Dental at (713) 660-0966 to schedule a comprehensive neuromuscular evaluation appointment.